The polyphonic choir “Maria SS. Consolatrice” operates in the same-name Church and in the whole city of Calatafimi Segesta.
It is formed by about 30 members that, with enthusiasm and diligence, want to be a demonstration of faith and harmony through their music.
Little by little, their passion about music has leaded them to enlarge their musical knowledge. So, under the direction of the singing-master M. Giuseppe Maiorana and the organist Pierluigi D’Anna, the choir has started an interesting study of sacred and profane songs.
Here are some events where the choir took part in:
- “No-profit town Music Band of Calatafimi Segesta” during the 150th anniversary of the death of Giuseppe Verdi, where the choir has played some pieces from its repertory.
- Choir “Mater Dei” in the occasion of the priestly ordinations in Alcamo (TP).
- Joined the Holy Mass played by Mons. Carmelo Cuttitta, auxiliary bishop in Palermo, during the festivity of Beato Giacomo Cusumano.
- Joined the diocesan choir during many festivities like the installation of the new bishop of Trapani Mons. Pietro Maria Fragnelli and during the live TV Mass on channel Rai 1 for the event “Fly for Peace”.
- Sang at the Holy Mass on December 07, 2014 with the participation of cardinal Peter Turkson, chairman of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace.
- Sang at the Holy Mass on January 2014 with the participation of cardinal Paolo Romeo, archbishop of Palermo at San Michele church in Calatafimi Segesta.
- Live concert “Cantate Lodi all’Eterno” for the 10th anniversary from the origin of this choir, with the participation of the “Quis ut Deus” choir.
Many of the members have taken part to different masterclasses held by the singing-master M. Giovanni Scalici to learn the vocal techniques, the choral singing and how to direct a choir.
Last but not least, the choir has always been involved in the animation of weddings, and thanks to the offers given by the new spouses, it keeps helping poor people living in Madagascar by giving them money. This is possible thanks to one of the choir’s friend Rosario Volpi who moved there and with the support of the “Exodus” association that was founded by Don Antonio Mazzi.
Direttore Giuseppe Maiorana
Organo Pierluigi D’Anna
Mancinoni Laudato sii
D. M. Stella Salve Sancte Pater
G. Magrino Variazioni su “Fratello sole, sorella luna”
T. Zardini Alto e Glorioso Dio
Duruflé Ubi Caritas
J. Botor Deus càritas est
Riz Ortolani Canzone di San Damiano
Miserachs Grau Cantate Domino